Beets are still one of my favorite veggies to put on salads. The beautiful color and sweetness is a great contrast to a spring mix of lettuce. I wanted to mix it up slightly, so I added oranges and avocados. The salmon is flavored a sweet beet glaze, then the beets are reused on top of the salad. This cooks the beets, while infusing them with a slight citrus flavor. It is all topped off with a tangy vinaigrette. It is a perfect way to come out of winter and into spring.
Salmon with Oranges and Beet Salad
- 2 fillets of salmon
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 medium beet, peeled and sliced thin
- 1 large orange, supremed
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1 avocado, sliced thinly
- 6 cups mixed lettuce
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange juice
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a small baking dish with parchment paper. Place salmon on parchment and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- In a small saucepan, combine orange juice, lemon juice, sugar and beet slices. Cook over medium heat until mixture starts to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Strain liquid into small bowl, reserving beet for the salad. Brush salmon with glaze and roast for about 15 minutes, or until salmon is just cooked through. Let rest while preparing the remainder of the salad.
- Combine champagne vinegar, orange juice, lemon juice, salt, and sugar in a small container. Whisk in olive oil. Add some freshly cracked pepper and whisk again.
- Assemble salad and top with salad dressing.