Oh man, this soup. I’ve been on a coconut milk kick, so when I saw this recipe in Real Simple, I knew that I had to make it. It is a delicious combination of vegetables, chicken, and seasonings that are flavorful without being too overwhelming. I swapped the Asian chili oil for chili garlic sauce, which is what I had on hand.
Poached Chicken Soup with Coconut Milk and Chunky Vegetables
via Real Simple
- 4 cups no-sodium chicken broth
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 – 2-lb squash, seeded and cut into wedges with the skins removed
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- lime zest from one line, plus lime wedges for serving
- 1 – 6 inch stalk lemongrass, crushed
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk // I used light coconut milk
- 1 tbsp Asian fish sauce, plus more according to taste
- 1 tsp chili garlic sauce, plus more according to taste
- Combine the broth, chicken, squash, sweet potato, ginger, lime zest, and lemongrass in a large pot and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and gently simmer until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest breast registers 165º F and the vegetables are tender, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Using 2 forks, shred the chicken into large pieces.
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, and shredded chicken to the pot. Cook until warm, 3 to 5 minutes. Discard the lemongrass.
- Add chili garlic sauce, and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve with lime wedges.