I love root vegetables, so I am always trying to find new ways to prepare them. Luckily, fall is the perfect time to buy them. I made this purée to go with the pot roast. It is a mix of celery root, parsnips, and potatoes. The celery root and parsnips add a depth of flavor and sweetness to the potatoes. If you are hesitant about trying celery root because of its look, don’t be. It has a mild celery flavor that is a delicious addition. I like to peel it with a paring knife because it takes forever with a vegetable peeler.
Puréed Root Vegetables
- 2-3 medium red potatoes, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 1 small celery root, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 3 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1″ chunks
- 3 tbsp butter, cut into pieces
- salt & pepper
- Place your vegetables into a medium pot. Cover with water and add a bit of salt.
- Turn the heat to medium-high and bring to a boil. Reduce heat so the water is at a simmer.
- Simmer until vegetables are cooked through.
- Drain water and return vegetables to the pot. Add butter and let melt slightly.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the vegetables until smooth. Stir in a bit more of salt and pepper.