When I lived in New Hampshire I used to go to a restaurant that served this butter along with fresh, hot bread. We soon started recreating it at home because it was so delicious. The secret is adding a little bit of sugar to the butter. It is sweet and salty and slightly onion-y all at the same time. I make a big batch and freeze it to keep the fresh chive flavor all year.
Sweet and Salty Chive Butter
- 1 cup unsalted butter //Directions for making your own
- 1 tsp fine sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- small bunch of fresh chives, chopped finely
- Bring butter to room temperature.
- With a mixer, cream together butter, sugar, and salt. Scrape the sides to make sure everything is mixed well.
- After it is creamed, slowly mix in chives. Serve at room temperature or freeze.