Last summer I drank a lot of lemonade. Now that warmer weather is here, I’ve been wanting something cool to drink. I decided to switch it up a bit and make a syrup with oranges, lemons, and limes. Due to the orange juice, this syrup is sweeter than just a lemon or lime syrup. It pairs very nicely with sparkling water, but if you don’t like bubbles it can be made with still water too. It also would be great with a splash of vodka or rum for a great summer drink.
- 3 limes
- 3 lemons
- 1 orange
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1.5 cups water
- To Serve: sparkling water
- Zest all of your fruit. Combine your zest, sugar, and water in a medium pot. While stirring, bring the mixture to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat. Let cool slightly.
- Roll the fruit gently with the heel of your palm. This will help extract the juice. Using a citrus reamer, juice the fruit. I ended up with a little less than 1.5 cups of juice.
- Strain the sugar syrup through a fine mesh strainer to remove the zest. Combine the sugar syrup and the citrus juice.
- Keep the citrus syrup in a tightly closed jar or a bottle in the refrigerator.