I was in the mood for rice crispy treats, but wanted to make something a little special. I remembered reading about Smitten Kitchen’s salted brown butter rice crispy treats, so I decided to make those. I added 1 tsp of vanilla bean paste to make them even better. The result is a delicious treat with just a hint of salt. The pan is almost gone, and I’m already thinking about making another batch.
Salted Brown Butter and Vanilla Rice Crispy Treats
makes 9×13 pan
- 1 stick unsalted butter, plus extra for the pan
- 10 ounces marshmallows // I prefer the small ones because I find that they melt easier
- heaping 1/4 tsp coarse sea salt
- 1 tsp vanilla bean paste // If you don’t have vanilla bean paste, you can use vanilla extract
- 6 cups Rice krispies cereal
- Butter (or coat with non-stick spray) a 9×13 inch pan. I also like to line the pan with parchment paper, and then spray again. It makes it easier to lift them out and cut them on a cutting board.
- In a large pot, melt butter over medium-low heat. Watch it carefully and stir frequently. Once it melts and foams, it will turn brown and smell nutty. Don’t let it burn.
- As soon as the butter browns, turn off the heat and stir in the marshmallows. If the heat from the butter isn’t enough to melt them, turn the heat onto low and stir until they are melted and smooth.
- Stir in the salt and vanilla paste. Then dump in the cereal.
- Quickly stir to completely coat the cereal, and pour into the prepared pan. Use a rubber spatula to smooth the top and press into the pan.
- Wait for them to cool, and cut into bars.