It took me a while to make this recipe. I like salmon, and I like blueberries, but I wasn’t sure how they would pair together. It turns out that they pair pretty well. The addition of balsamic vinegar and thyme, give the blueberry sauce a savory touch. This is now one of my favorite ways to prepare salmon when I’m in the mood for something different. I paired this with some smashed rutabaga, which holds up well against the salmon and blueberries.
Salmon with Blueberry Sauce
adapted from Guilty Kitchen
- 2 salmon fillets
- 4 tbsp butter, divided
- 1 glove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp cornstarch // I’ve also made it with flour when I don’t have cornstarch
- juice from half a lemon
- 5 oz blueberries
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- salt & black pepper to taste
- In small bowl, mix 2 tbsp of the butter and garlic.
- Rub salmon with the butter/garlic mixture. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a small bowl, mix lemon juice and cornstarch until combined.
- Combine blueberries, balsamic, chicken broth, thyme, and lemon mixture in a small pot. Set over medium heat and bring to a simmer. Turn heat down to low, and continue cooking for 20-30 minutes until the sauce has reduced by half.
- As your sauce is cooking, preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In an oven proof saute pan, heat a small amount of butter on medium-high. Once it is melted, gently place the salmon into the pan. Fry for a couple of minute or until it just starts to turn pink on the bottom.
- Remove pan from heat and place in oven. Cook in oven for 7-8 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Stir remaining 2 tbsp of butter into the blueberry sauce to finish it and pour over salmon just before serving.