Charles and I are on our annual ski trip to New Hampshire and Maine. Woohoo! I sewed this helmet cover before our trip last year and it turned out great. I was tired of my helmet getting banged around or needing space in a bag to store it. I usually store my goggles in my helmet, and am always afraid that they would fall out. It was a pretty simple design – I just made a big U-shaped bucket, then sewed the lining which had enough fabric to cinch closed with a drawstring.
I quilted the outside fabric to a scrap piece of batting. I lined it with rip stop nylon because I wanted it to be somewhat water resistant. To cover the raw edges I used some leftover quilt binding.
I made a short strap that could clip to my backpack. I thought about making it adjustable but it seemed like a lot of work for something that wouldn’t be used often because I knew that it would always be clipped to my bag. It’s held up well all year and was great for storing everything over the summer.