I cannot talk about hamburgers without referencing Steve Martin in the Pink Panther:
Now that we have gotten that out of the way, here is my favorite stripped down recipe for making your own hamburgers. I usually make them with a cast-iron skillet, but they are also perfect when prepared on the grill.
- 1 lb ground beef // I like an 80/20 mix, but feel free to use whatever you like
- 1/2 tsp of your favorite season-all salt // I like McTwigan’s 4th of July Seasoning. Available here.
- 1/2 tsp ground pepper
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a bowl using your hands.
- Form into 3-4 patties.
- Indoors: Preheat a well seasoned cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Cook 4-6 minutes each side or until cooked how you like them. If your cast iron skillet isn’t well seasoned or you are using another type of pan, you can add 1 tbsp of oil to the pan before you add the burgers.
- Outdoors: Cook on a preheated grill over medium-high heat until cooked to your liking.
- Serve with your choice of toppings, and on toasted rolls. Note: Caramelized onions are awesome on top of burgers.