I was recently inspired by all of the flowers that have been growing. I decided to mess around with some embroidery floss to see what I could come up with. Because I’m way too uptight to just start sewing, I first did some rough sketches in my sketchbook.
I loosely colored in some of the sections where I knew the colors that I wanted to use. I stitched, using a hoop, onto unbleached drill. Drill is tightly woven, medium-weight, soft, 100% cotton cloth. It is similar to tweed or a heavier, tightly woven linen. I like it for projects where I’m not sure what I am going to do with the finished project because it is very versatile. I found it at my local Joann Fabrics in the utility cloth section. I also left it on a larger section of fabric so that I could cut it down to size at a later time.
I altered the size of the leaf-shaped flowers, making them smaller. I love how it came out, and am thinking about using it to make a small zippered bag. I’ll be sure to post photos if I do. Here is a side-by-side of the original sketch, and the embroidery: