I always keep a box of brownie mix in my pantry. My husband and I love brownies, and it is an easy way to satisfy that craving. I find that the box mixes are good, but a few additions add a wonderful depth of flavor.
- one family-sized box of brownie mix // I used Betty Crocker Fudge Brownies mix
- eggs, oil, and water // Use the amounts recommended on the box
- 1 tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1 tbsp vanilla bean paste // If you don’t have vanilla bean paste, just substitute in 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- Follow the directions on the box, mixing in the vanilla bean paste and espresso powder into the batter.
- Bake according to the directions.
- Try to wait until they cool before you eat them.
I also like to cut the brownies into approximately 1 inch square bites, and freeze them on a cookie sheet. You can then transfer them into a bag and store them in the freezer. They are a great, sweet treat when the craving hits. You can either let them thaw, or eat them frozen. Frozen brownies are amazing in the summer when it is too hot to move, let alone bake.